Saint Patrick's Cathedral
Saint Patrick’s Cathedral has a history of more than 800 years and it is considered one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city. The present Cathedral building, in terms of shape and size, dates from 1220-1259, replacing an earlier (probably wooden) church. It was constructed in honor of Ireland’s patron saint, Saint Patrick, on the site of an ancient well (which was supposed to have been used by Saint Patrick himself. The fabric itself was made from local limestone and imported stone from Bristol. Over the years the Cathedral has become home to a variety of sculptures, statutes and windows which are all themed around the life of the saint. It is one of the few buildings left from medieval Dublin.
Since 1870, the Church of Ireland has designated St Patrick's as the national cathedral for the whole of Ireland, drawing chapter members from each of the 12 dioceses of the Church of Ireland and is the largest Cathedral in the country. Jonathan Swift, author of Gulliver’s Travels, was Dean of Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in the 1700s and he is one of many burials on site. The phrase "to chance your arm" originates from a feud that played out within the walls of St Patrick's. The Cathedral is world famous for its choir, established in 1432, which still performs daily during school term.